Z+T Studio’s Tangshan Quarry Park project in China has secured the prestigious 2023 Rosa Barba Casanovas International Landscape Architecture Award at the 12th International Landscape Biennial in Barcelona. The Quarry Park emerged from the desire to transform an abandoned limestone quarry into a biodiverse environment. The jury lauds the exquisitely executed project, stating that it “represents excellence across all aspects of the design process and encompasses the social and environmental impact considerations. It is a thoughtful, poetic, and well-conceptualized landscape architectural project that takes into account the integration of both human and non-human users.”
The Tangshan Quarry Park project is built upon key pillars:
incorporating the existing terrain and ensuring functional regeneration
- Implementing runoff control and water management systems
- Including reservoirs, bioretention swales, and a natural bottom wetland
- Introducing a playground that creatively interprets the quarry industry’s history with Corten Steel elements
- Emphasizing sustainability in material selection through the principles of Locality, Low maintenance, and Low cost (3L)
- Focusing on biodiversity enhancement strategies such as limited human-directed planting, native species restoration, and creating habitats for endangered species.
Through the aforementioned concepts, Z+T Studio has collaboratively crafted a comprehensive approach to restore and transform the site. Take a look at this amazing project here.
The 2023 edition of this biennial, received 225 submissions, with 11 selected as finalists. The projects were showcased during the International Landscape Biennial in Barcelona, held from November 24 to 28, 2023.
The Lands Design team was pleased to sponsor the event. Explore the other award winners and honorable mentions.